7.05.2006

Fire, Water, Burn?

My posting frequency seems to be on an exponential decline, for which I apologize. For those who are curious, the house is going slow but well. Pictures to be posted when completion is near. Yeah, I created a ridiuclous amount of work for myself, so I will probably end up posting a few more times before it is complete. Yes, even at this rate.

It was a 7-day weekend fun in the sun. I guess at some point it stops being a weekend. Anyway - Jenny and I left last Thursday for Mark and Allison's wedding in Akron, had good times with good people (you know who you are), then we drove back Saturday after Bob Evans. We drove right to the hospital to see my first nephew, Luke. He was a big baby. Then we both went home for a refreshing ten minutes to pack up our things to go camping with some friends (you also know who you are) an hour and a half north. After a humid, mosquito-filled night in the tent, we looked for the restaurant we have been waiting a whole year to go to - the Bitchen Kitchen. Turns out it was a shop, not an actual kitchen. It's a good thing Pentwater, MI had more to offer than meets the eye. I'm a Holland pier-jumper. Swimming amongst the boats in the channel is a big "no-no." You get to pay money when you get caught in Holland. But Pentwater is the place dreams are made of. Swimming to the other pier is encouraged. As I was crossing my proverbial Red Sea, boats all around, the danger that encompassed me was a mere afterthought. How glorious it was. Then I got sunburned. After a day of rest, I was back in the game. This independence day found me in the same place as my ancestors - on a boat. While I was not crossing the ocean, I was in search of freedom. A fleet of five undersized inflatable rafts dropped in the Black River, looking for the great Lake Macatawa. It was no Potomac, for the Black River is stagnant and putrid. It changes direction with the wind. Through our journey we found two brdiges to jump off of, along with some very tired arms. Well worth the journey. I got sunburned again.

I did not intend to tell you about my weekend. It was merely a precursor to another theory I have. I was recently in the shower fighting off the hot water because of my sunburn. Then I stopped and asked myself... "Does this actually hurt?" Answer: I don't think so. Next time you stand under hot water after over-exposure - bite your lip until you feel a strange, cool sensation. Scream if you have to. But it's all in your head.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That was deep.

glad to know I'm not the only one who burns!

it was great to see you briefly the other day. hope to see you again soon and meet the girl.

Anonymous said...

living in ohio away from "real" lakes, it's nice to hear that somewhat else knows what it's like to pier jump in holland. :)

Anonymous said...

you idiot, you forgot your username. so much for blogger.