8.23.2005

High socks and hopes...

It's getting to be that time of the year. The overnight temperature is under 60. The waves are picking up. School starts next week. This is the first time in 20 years I have gone through a summer with nothing to look forward to in the fall. Last year I moved to Michigan this time of year. The year before that I moved to Ohio. The 17 years before that I went to school. I am not yet sure if I am complaining about this or not. So far, I am not one to settle down. I have to be doing something else-- which is probably why I am not very good at anything. Sometimes, however, I like to think I am pretty good at things. I'm coaching soccer again this fall for my HS Alma Mater. Often I play with them in practice and I feel like a stud. It is those times I have to remind myself that I am 24 and they are 13-17 years old Christian school players. Nothing against Christian school players, some are actually pretty good- but we barely have enough to field a team, let alone cut players who are all but adequate. Good times.

I guess I've just got that October itch. Maybe it's because I'm a Libra. Either way, I can't wait for pullovers, hayrides, pumpkins, and a cold nose. Michigan football every saturday, Lions every Sunday. Bound to be a decent season.

2 comments:

Ang said...

yes, the chill in the air even makes me nostalgic for football, which i don't really even like. i think it's just the season,...the colors, fall clothes, fires, warm yellow light...and cool crisp air. and the anticipation of snow and christmas.
...so when do the "calvary" teams play each other.
the irish music festival is coming up again :)

Wags said...

greg, hey man good luck this year with the soccer team... I'm no longer coaching for Calvary muskegon, but maybe I'll see ya around...